- ABOUT HICKORY RIDGE
- LIVING IN HICKORY RIDGE
- MAKING EXTERIOR CHANGES
- UPCOMING EVENTS
- BOARD NEWS
- THE LOG NEWSLETTER
- VILLAGE CENTER COMMUNITY PLAN
- RENT THE HAWTHORN CENTER
- COMMUNITY RESOURCES
- CONTACT US
The name Hickory Ridge takes its name from an original Howard County land grant. Our three neighborhoods were originally to be named “Roxbury,” “Clary’s Forest” and “Batchelor’s Delight.” “Roxbury” was ultimately changed to “Hawthorn.” Both names are found in the poetry of American poetess Amy Lowell. Street names in Hawthorn also derive from Ms. Lowell’s works. “Batchelor’s Delight” became Clemens Crossing, and its street names come from the writings of Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain). Clary’s Forest was the name of a land grant patented to John Clary in 1734. Clary’s street names can be found in the writings of the 20th century American poet William Carlos Williams.
The land surrounding Sierra Villas and Barnside in Clary’s Forest originally belonged to the Kahler family farm. The farm’s silo still remains--a piece of history among the condominiums.
Much of the Hawthorn neighborhood was a dairy farm operated by the Bassler family. Their airplane landing strip, located near the hospital and Howard Community College, was paved over and called Little Patuxent Parkway.
The Athol Marker sits approximately 100 feet down a pathway along Sixpence Circle in Clemens Crossing. Dated 1730, the stone is an early survey marker.
Hickory Ridge Village was incorporated on May 26, 1972. The first homes in Hawthorn went on sale in 1973 and occupancy began in early 1974. Clemens Crossing development began at the same time. Most of Clary’s Forest was not developed until the 1980’s.
In 1975, the village sponsored a contest for residents to design a logo to appear on our stationery, newsletter, etc. Pat Olmert of Sierra Villas in Clary’s Forest was awarded the $15 prize money for his fine artwork. Originally, the village newsletter was called the Hickory Dickorings. Another contest was held in 1979 to rename the newsletter. James Wu and family of Tailcoat Way in Clemens Crossing were given Hickory Ridge tee shirts for their winning entry The Log.
Development of village amenities was slow. The Clemens Crossing Pool hosted its first swimmers in 1976, Hawthorn Pool in 1987, and Clary’s Forest Pool in 1990. The Hawthorn Center opened in 1981. Hickory Ridge Village Center welcomed customers for the first time in 1992.